Thursday, July 31, 2008

Dads, sons and a dog: Norway at it´s best


Well we got it as good as it can get in Norway this summer.....
I was invited to run the surf school for Torkild and Anne, the people who own the house on the beach in Hoddevik.
The surf in Norway had been small for ages before the week I was going to go with my 7 year old son Sam..I asked johan if he'd like to tag along with his 5 year old son Jakob and he naturally jumped on the opportunity to get a week of free accomodation and food ...and of course..SURF...
We took off at 8pm on the saturday night with the kids in the back, the dvd on play, and after 11hrs of driving in pleasant 'light all night' driving conditions we arrived the next day to double overhead offshore pumping barrells!!!
We scored big time because it had been flat for ages there... and it went flat after we left.
It was pumping for basically the whole week and on the last 2 days it got over 30 degs on the beach and the gulf stream pushed a nice warm current along the coast which meant that, even though it was smaller, we could surf in boardies without any problems..quite bizarre really, the thought that you can actually surf in boardies in Norway..hahaha
Both Jakob and Sam were powering on the surfboards all week..Sam was paddling onto whitewater and standing up all by himself after 2 days...!!! Jakob is a couple of years younger than Sam so he was a little more hesitant but that will come as he gets a bit older..
There were skateboards there and perfect roads to learn on so the kids went off on them, there was child-minding so the kids had heaps of really fun activities to do so we parents got a break now and then and there was, of course the surf.
Johan and I had a couple of really EPIC evening sessions and the pictures taken by professional photographer Thomas Bickhardt show some of the size we got..his name is on the photo's he took..hope you don't mind I put them in Thomas!!??!!
We met an Aussie called Seamus from Wollongong who had scored the sales rights 'Ocean and Earth' for Norway and went on a midnight's surf session with him..It was really really good surf that we pulled up to in the 4-5ft solid rang..no evidence though cause there wasn't any photo's taken..when we saw the surf we just threw our wetties on and ran to the surf laughing our guts out..hahaha
We drank beers with the crew every night in the boathouse and a few nights got pretty rowdy..hahaha..
I had surf lessons every day between 1 and 4pm and taught about 30 people how to surf ! 25 of them stood up and surfed in on the whitewater in the first lesson..I thought that was pretty good so it was a real rush to watch them learn so quickly.
All in all it was a fantastic trip and I can't wait to go back again..Thanks to Torkild and Anne for all their hospitality...RAT


Johan bottom turning on a solid one a little floater by me Torkild (owner of the house)on his WaimeaBay gun got piles and piles of waves
Kittil (a Hoddevik local)bottom turns on a clean one


Above is an ozzie called Seamus doing a really nice reo. He is the Ocean and Earth rep in norway.We had a classic surf with him at midnight one night,(it was light all night!!)
Under, is me doing a roundhouse cutty and a couple of shots of me lining one up.
Johan and Anne in the infamous boathouse on a 35 deg sunny afternoon in beautiful hoddevik, must be one of the most spectacularly beautiful places I have ever been to.
Under this photo is the white 'surf house' in the background.
Sam stoked with his new board and wetty!Torkild attacking the food in the kitchen
Johan refuelling for the night surf sessions and extra curricular activities..hahahaJakob showing off his skateboarding scars
Sam hangin loose
2 surf school students scoffing out
The master and the apprentice



An afternoons ale in the boathouse on a stinkin' hot day and under that is Johan doing paddle and balance training with Jakob
What did we do last night???!!! hahaha
Will do it all again real soon..until the next time..stay cool..RATMAN

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

who's tha 25 yr old spunk with tha black boardies ??!!

Anonymous said...

HUge waves dudes.. I was lucky to get little over head waves and very nice shape but not too bowly... great for my cut back training.. no pics unfortunately.. current pulled me too far away from my photographer's sun bathing area. ho hum... it was fun though. Leaving tomorrow/today to head back to the north. time went by all too fast as usual.

-Jay

Anonymous said...

An incident occurred in Nvks this Friday. It was really big and messy and I thought it was a bit too big for me, so I stayed inside and took some shitty waves. There was one of you Americans out also, surfing way outside from me, (I didn’t get your name).

Suddenly this family comes down to the beach. It was a mom and a dad in their 60´s, and their son who was about 30 years old. They started swimming and jumping in the waves near the shore. I thought of warning them for the strong current, but since they had a cabin in the area I thought they should now about this beach.

Suddenly the woman started screaming like hell and when I looked, she and the son was swept pass me almost out by the cliff. The son started to scream “mom” like shit and he went after her, and somehow before I could get there he managed to get her inside again, and they got to the beach really exhausted.

But then the father had disappeared. When I saw him he was pretty far out in the middle. I paddled over there and asked him if he needed help, but he didn’t answer me. He just had this strange face and looked liked he thought he was going to die. I manage to get him to hold the board and we swam for the beach. When we reached inside where we could touch the bottom I asked him to stand up, but he just kept squeezing the board, so the son and me had to drag him onto the beach, where he just collapsed.

He was so out of power that I thought he would die there on the spot.

After a while he got his breath back and said he was going to be ok.

Det var riktigt otäckt att se, och jag drog hem efter det.
Vi ses
/dropdeadfred

Anonymous said...

I just did a surfings kurs in norway and 90% of what I talk about is the dangers of the ocean dropdead..even the BEST ocean goers and surfers can drown ..you are a legend and a hero for helping the man and definitely saved his life..good on you dropdead...
P.S.Andrew was the yank in the water man..RAT

Anonymous said...

Daaaaamn! Snacka om tur att du var så rådig i ditt beteende! Farligt att inte tänka efter både en och två gånger innan man ger sig ut och badar i stor surf... /Johan