Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Surfari - the island quest..

*UPDATED* Jay, Ratman and Frexi and I (Johan) went on a quest for a new J-bay..
Saturday at around 11 the phone rang. It was Ratman. He talked to my missus for a while, and assured her that there´d be no going to Sundsvall today. I was pretty damn anxious to get some surf, so I managed to talk him into going anyway.. (Not to hard once you start clucking at a guy that´s been surfing his entire life..) I hung up the phone thinking Jay and I had to go without Rat. 50 seconds later the phone rang, it was Rat saying: I´ll be at your place in ten minutes.

Well, we packed up the boards and headed for Jays place. He was as stoked as any man on vacation, and loaded up his board and got us some coffee.

We had talked to Frexi, who had gone out earlier with 2 of his mates. There was gonna be waves, we just weren´t so sure they´d actually hit any of our breaks. When we got to GVN we saw Frexi standing on a rock in the middle of the break. Didn´t look to promising at all...



Frexi and his buddies had been there for a couple of hours and hadn´t gotten more than a handful of waves.

Since the swell was SE I really thought that it ought to hit an Island outside GVN, so I convinced everyone to go.


We all hopped in our cars and headed out for the promised island. I had a good feeling about the place, and as far as the sea charts go, it looked promising. I was really hoping to find a new untouched J-bay, but there was no such luck.
We drove the cars as far as we could, sneaking past a boom gate and going offroad for a while, put on our wetties and started walking.


We walked and ran and walked and ran and walked some more and found...













Nothing..........
There were a couple of spots that may have had a bit of potential in a bigger swell but nothing we thought would be worth the walk every time!! Bummer! It was worth the look though 'cause we have been wondering about that island for a whole year now..


















Finally I couldn´t take walking around with the board and wettie, so I jumped in and paddled around for a while.
It all ended up with us finding nothing surfable, it kinda sucked to get a bum trip when you know there was swell out there, but at least it beats sitting at home. Any day of the week...
Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've done the same thing further south. But in the end of that journey, we struck G O L D!

Midnight Runners said...

Well, t´hat time we found nothing, but 2 days later we struck the famous GOLD again.. Peace