Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Druids - the legend of an ancient yet new spot

(Johan) In the aftermath of our bum quest on saturday, the crew was really itching to get into the water. None the less me, since I was the one that clucked Rat in to doing the 2 hour drive.. Anyway, last night I checked the sites and was confident there´d be swell. About as confident that I had been on saturday... I sent smses to Rat and Jay, I knew Jay was up for a surf trip, but Rat had to work. Sure enough I got the reply from Jay, he was on!

This morning I went by Rat to pick up my board and wetsuit since I had left it in his car saturday. He looked kind of bummed that he couldn´t come, but he made that up by giving my car an over haul.. (Thanks buddy!)

At about 20 to 10 I was gassed up and on my way to pick up Jay in his pink mansion. He was stoked as hell, and we packed up the boards and headed for the ocean. We first pulled up at NVS, which was surfable, but kinda messy and hip high. The sandbank is really messed up this year, hope it´ll clean up when the next big fall swell comes in
Since the swell was a Northern one, I had big hopes that a couple of unridden spots that I scoped out on the sea charts would go off. So we headed out to check out the potential tube-o-rama spot with the working name of 'Fingers'. That place was going off like hell.. A sucky tube breaking on a flat rock reef, that just sucked almost dry and threw spit like hell.. The place was GNARLY! Still, it looked like it would need a swell twice as big to reach its full potential.
Next to fingers we found another sweet flat rock break that we´ll name later. For now we´ll just call it 'lefties', since it had a steep and long left breaking over it.



After we had checked out fingers and lefties we took one last detour, and there it was... The place that the legend talks about.. Druids... After we meditated for a while, the place just started going off, with nice over head sets rumbling in on us. The paddle out was kinda sketchy, since it was really shallow, with shitloads of sharp rocks buried 5 cm beneath the surface. We had a great 2.5 hour session, with lots and lots of nice waves. The waves were way more consistant than NVS, and with a hell of a lot more push! All in all a great trip!


After we surfed we hauled ass back home after a quick stop at MAX for some burgers. Thanks Jay for a great trip, I had a blast! (Since we were to busy surfing theres no surf photos.. We gotta start bringing a photographer..)
Peace

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Härligt att ni hittar nya spots! Själv hade jag lovat att hjälpa till med betongbowlen som vi håller på att bygga, plus att jag räknade lite med att det skulle vara sönderblåst. Ser ut som vi kan få sydligt swell igen imorgon.

Checka bowlen på:
http://babyskulls.blogspot.com/

vi ses
/(dropdead)fred

Midnight Runners said...

Bowlen ser fantastisk ut! Måste bli en skate session snart! /Johan