Sunday, August 26, 2007

Lake surfing again!!

Brief History
(Johan) The great lake of Storsjön (english; Big Lake), has an area of 464 square km's and a maximum depth of 74 mtrs. It´s the fifth biggest lake in Sweden and is located in between the mountains in the province of Jämtland.

There´s been lots of rumours going around about the size of waves it can whip up when the old North, northwest and easterly winds are blowing hard. I´ve heard boat owners saying they had to go in to shelter behind islands because the waves were 2 - 3 meters. Naturally I´m a bit sceptical about this fact.. But still the scepticism didn´t stop me from actually going out and trying to catch a few waves.

Back in 1995, when my buddy Emil and I had built our own surfboards (Yes they were crap) we tried surfing the lake for the first time. Because of the boards we didn´t get much out of it, but it was still fun.

Last year however, it moved in to a new level. Rob and I took our boards and went out to check a secret spot that we´d been hoping might work after studying the depth charts. And it did work! We had a fun session with waist - chest high waves in fresh water. After the session I called up Ratman, and although he was sceptical (who would blame him?) we went out.

That session Rat and I found an even better spot, that we decided to call 'No Mans Land'. Because that´s exactly what it was, a No Mans Land...We, (RAT and I Johan) were the first people to ever surf it in the history of Storsjön..'Big lake'

The photos below are from No Mans Land, on an evening session with Ratman and I on the 25th August this year. If I know Rat right, he´ll post a story with the pictures, but I really gotta get back to work now, and don´t have the time... Enjoy the photos!


Me pumping up some speed..













Ratman walking the board..



















Ratman paddling out..


















The Lake
















Ratman on his way up from the surf..
















Ratman taking off..


















Beautiful lines!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see the pics. Sorry I had other arrangements. It would be great to surf with the Big Lake Monster and my two bros. I've been praying for surf but I guess God decided I meant for the Finns. I suppose I'll have to be more specific. Hope to see you guys soon.

HeMan

Anonymous said...

Ratman, get your ass out of the wagon and put some pics up! /Johan

P.S hahaha, Jay, you know the good lord demands a bit of specification..

Anonymous said...

Dude! Great pictures! I didn't believe that you could actually surf in a lake but now that I see the pics, I'm convinced it's possible! You should be a photographer for National Geografic.

Midnight Runners said...

Hahahaha, funny comment.. But true, come on Ratman, get the pics up!!! /Johan

Anonymous said...

I just can'e be bothered to download photoshop and blah blah blah yet..promise I'll do it before Xmas ..hahaha RAT

Midnight Runners said...

Just e-mail me the photos and I´ll get it done! chop chop! /Johan

Anonymous said...

the more you guys whinge the longer I wait!! hahahaha..I've got tha pics..hahaha RAT

Anonymous said...

good story mate..will fix the english a little bit but I reckon it's a great story...RAT

Anonymous said...

Duuuudes!! Jag kommer hem på torsdag kväll och det ser ut att kunna bli svall på fredag, då hoppas jag att ni kommer och surfar lite höstvågor med mig! Kul förresten att ni ger er ut på storsjön!!

Anonymous said...

vi ringer dig freximan..pray for surf på fredag..prognosen visar inte lika stark vind som imorse men det räcker endå ..håller tummerna..RAT